Saturday, May 25, 2013

4.5 Stars for Power Play: Awakening by Cat Grant & Rachel Haimowitz

Title: Power Play: Awakening
Author: Cat Grant and Rachel Haimowitz 
Release Date: June 11th 2012
Genre: BDSM  (m/m)
Pages: 292
Publisher: Riptide Publishing
Series: Power Play # 2
ISBN: 9781937551322
Reviewer: Melissa
Rating: 4.5 Winner of Reviewers Top Pick Award!
Heat: III







Summary/Blurb

Brandon McKinney is a man reborn.  Newly awakened to the notion of consensual power exchange and the submissive urges inside him, he begs for a second chance from the man who opened his eyes to this world: Silicon Valley superstar Jonathan Watkins.  But no birth is absent pain, and Brandon's is no exception.  He fears he's not strong enough to see it through.


Jonathan knows better.  He's seen the iron core inside his new submissive, and the wounded heart inside him too.  He means to teach Brandon to heal the one with the other.  They have five months left on their contract, after all, and Jonathan has done more with less before.

It's tough to stay objective, though, when you're falling in love.  Shame Brandon doesn't feel the same.  He's only there for the three-million-dollar payout at contract's end--a fact that Jonathan, nursing his own wounded heart, reminds himself of each day.  For even as Brandon's barriers break and his mind expands, even as he grows to love his place at Jonathan's feet, he'll never love life with a sadist--especially one who cannot escape the public eye.

Review:

Power Play: Awakening is the second book in the Power Play series by Rachel Haimowitz and Cat Grant.  This concludes the story between Bran and Jonathan.  This book was more gripping and spellbinding than the first.  I simply loved this story so much more than the first.

Jonathan finally got it.  It is apparent in this story he gets what he did wrong and tries very hard to correct his behavior. I loved that he was honest with Bran about his mistakes.  Bran does not really go easy on him either but this book is not the battle of wills this first one was.  I loved the question and answers sessions they had together. 

Characters, Nicky and Devon, from Rachel Haimowitz’s book Master Class make an appearance in this book, and while I have not read this book, I defiantly want to read the story now.  In this story, Devon, is where Jonathan seems to get his (in my opinion warped) ideas of how to be a Dom.  I loved that Jonathan finally got that there was several different types of Doms, and Bran craved a different type of attention than what Jonathan is used to dishing out.

Bran grew so much in this story.  He finally seemed to get what Jonathan was trying (and badly in the beginning at that) to get him to understand.  Bran, in the end, was so much more balanced than in the beginning of the first story. 

The chemistry between Bran and Jonathan is amazing and so much better than the first book--now that Bran’s needs are being met and not what Jonathan wanted Brans needs to be and met them. The sex scenes were amazingly hot and steamy. 

While I did not get into the secondary characters in the first book, I will now.  It still boggles my mind that the housekeeper, Sabrina, could be as evil (I cannot come up with a better word) as she was.  I wonder if she is in love with or wants Jonathan and is mean to anyone that Jonathan cares for?  She seemed to lack the same characteristics that Jonathan lacked in the first book.  I wish Jonathan understood how badly she treated Bran.  The other character that I was not fond of was Solange.  She was just as mean to Bran.  I do not care its rude to speak another language when you know not everyone knows the language that is in the room.  She should have kept speaking English.  I do like how Bran did get even with her.  I am amazed at how Jonathan accrues such mean people around him. 

Overall, this was a much better story than I expected.  I loved the ending.  You really get a feel for how Jonathan and Bran could make it work long term.  I would love a story to see how Jonathan and Bran work together long term. 

NOTE: Click on the Title below to read the review for the first book,

Power Play: Resistance




2 comments:

Narcicus said...

You have a nice blog. Do you want to follow each other in Google friend connect? Just follow me and leave a comment and I will follow you back :) We could follow each other on Google+ as well if you want. :) Cheers

Barbara Mazzuca said...

Hi Narcicus. I checked out your blog and liked it too. And decided your site would have been one I would have joined with Google friends connect had I found it on my own. So I did.