Monday, September 24, 2012

Interview with National Best Selling Author Delilah Devlin

I’d like to start with little story how Delilah Devlin went from working for an IT company to becoming the National Best Selling Author she is today.

The Beginning: Midnight December 31, 1999

It turned out that on December 31 1999 the end of the world didn’t happen as some predicted. As Deliah and her sister
Myla Jackson pass the time as the clock approach midnight waiting to see what would happen they made a decision that literally changed both of their lives forever. So in short the world rang in the beginning of a new century and Delilah and Myla rang in the beginning to their new futures too.
Now it wasn’t all peaches and cream after that. But the only deadlines Delilah and her sister have to worry about now are for their books.



Which brings us to now, 2013


Delilah Devlin
is a prolific and award-winning author of erotica and erotic romance with a rapidly expanding reputation for writing deliciously edgy stories with complex characters. Whether creating dark, erotically-charged paranormal worlds or richly descriptive historical stories that ring with authenticity, Delilah Devlin "pens in uncharted territory that will leave the readers breathless and hungering for more…" (Paranormal Reviews) Devlin has published over 100 erotic stories in multiple genres and lengths.


She is published by Atria/Strebor, Avon, Berkley, Black Lace, Cleis Press, Ellora’s Cave, Harlequin Spice, Kensington, Running Press, and Samhain Publishing.

I am so pleased welcome National Best Selling Author Delilah Devlin, to Risqué Reviews and would like to thank her for taking time to do this interview.

Hi Delilah and thank you for joining us.

Then let’s start the ball rolling shall we…


I’d like to start by talking about the anthology of Western Romances, COWBOY LUST: EROTIC ROMANCE FOR WOMEN release August of 2012.




Q. What can you tell us about your story in Cowboy Lust, Runaway Bride?

I love it when a man takes charge. In Runaway Bride, my cowboy was left standing at the altar without a single clue why. He’s been stewing ever since. On a whim, he kidnaps the girl he still loves, hell-bent on finding out why, and hoping to seduce her into submission.






Q. Who came up with the idea to put together Cowboy Lust?

Actually, my editor at Cleis Press approached me with the idea. Seems like it should have been instinctual given how into cowboys I am. I loved the idea of it and jumped at the chance.





Q. How were the authors that contributed chosen?

I didn’t choose the authors; I chose the best, most unique stories. It’s true, I had to refuse many really good stories, but I was looking for well-written tales that felt as though they hung together thematically.

Your stories include many genres, BDSM, Fantasy, Paranormal, LGBT, Erotica, Ménage as well as Sci-Fi,  etc., sometimes blending genres into one story. When I am reviewing stories such as these, the biggest problem I have is trying to decide what genre to put it under *grin*. This leads me to my next two questions;

Qa: How do you keep the character/relationship central to the story while still combining genres?

By getting as deep inside the character as I can and looking at the world around them through his/her eyes. People are people even when they’re Vikings living on another planet. :)





Qb: Are your books character or plot driven?

A good romance needs to be both. Readers need to love the characters. A plot keeps them from snoring through relational angst because plot forces the characters to change and move forward.





Q. When you completed your novels/series do you breathe a sigh of relief, or do you feel sad the experience has ended?

I don’t ever acknowledge that anything is over. I’m wishy-washy that way. I tell myself I’ll revisit them later.





Q. How difficult is it to separate the author from the person?

It’s not possible. I am a writer because I write. I don’t really have a separate fictional persona. What you sense about me through my writing, or through my Facebook and blog, is exactly what you get.








Q. How do you cope emotionally with reviewers who seemed to have missed the point of your story completely?

I won’t lie. It’s painful when I get reviews from people who didn’t enjoy what I wrote. I want to ask them if maybe they missed something, or maybe if they should have checked the book’s warning label before they read it. I restrain myself, reminding myself there are plenty of books out there that have huge followings, but I don’t get them either. 
 
 
 
Q. You write such psychologically charged stories that are driven by some extraordinary sexual preferences. How far do you take your characters sexually when the story includes multifaceted lifestyles that go outside of “the comfort zones of preconceived ideals of right and wrong”, such as BDSM, Ménage and LGBT? 
Hmmm... I write fantasy. My personal fantasies. In my head there aren’t many taboos. I tend to believe that what makes a person happy is his or her own business, so when I sit down to write, I let inhibitions fly. If I’m curious about different lifestyles or choices, I like to explore.
 
 
 
Q. I often wonder how when dealing with emotional domination and physical pain in a story what is more important? Is it what is more acceptable to the readers? Or, what is significant to the story that really matters? What are your thoughts on this?
When I write, I’m deep in the character’s head. Whatever they do, feel, think, or need is right there for me to describe. In Begging For It, I wrote about a woman just back from Iraq who was struggling with PTSD and survivor’s guilt. She couldn’t allow herself to feel pleasure unless she felt significant pain. Writing those scenes made me uncomfortable, but she needed to suffer in order to face the things that frightened her and find her own redemption. I really didn’t think all that much about what readers would think because I wanted to tell the story in my head, not change it up to make it more palatable.




Q. You have many series (to see a list go to http://www.delilahdevlin.com/by-series/) do they all have to be read in order or can some be read as standalones?

My Dark Realm and New Iceland series should be read sequentially, because things that happen in the series affect characters in later stories. My Lone Star Lovers series can be read out of order.

Q. How did you transpire to compose such a vast variety of genres that you write in? (Fancy way of asking, what came first the chicken or the egg?)

I get bored writing the same ole things and like to switch things up so that writing feels fresh to me.

*I always like to end interviews with a question just for fun. This is the one I choose for you.

Q
. If you could have one superhuman power, what would it be? And Why?

The only superhuman power I’d love to have is immortality because I’d love to see what the future holds. The thought of traveling to other planets is a romantic notion for me, so I’d love to see what it’s really like.



The Ankh, also known as key of life


That brings us to the end of my interview with the talented Author Delilah Devlin.

Thank you again Delilah, I hope you enjoyed yourself.

To find out more about the books Delilah Devlin talked about in this inteview be sure to visit her website @ http://www.delilahdevlin.com/

 



 








4 comments:

Delilah Devlin said...

Thanks so much for hosting me!

Barbara Mazzuca said...

It was my pleasure Delilah!

Margaret said...

Fabulous interview! Thank you!

Barbara Mazzuca said...

I'm glad you injoyed it Margaret. Thanks for stopping by!!!