Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Interview with Author of Serious BDSM Candace Blevins


Candace Blevins is a southern girl who loves to travel the world.

She lives with her husband of 14 years and their two daughters. When not working or driving kids all over the place she can be found reading, writing, meditating, or swimming.

Candace writes romance books about characters who happen to have some extreme kinks. Relationships can be difficult enough without throwing power exchange into the mix, and her books show characters who care enough about each other to fight to make the relationship work.

This biography was provided by the author or their representative.



I must say that intro doesn’t do Candace Blevins justice. She does write romance and they do have extreme kinks. However what it fails to mention is that Blevins takes her readers into the world of serious BDSM lifestyle. And though some call it kink other might look at it as Tomato - Tomoto. Nevertheless for those that have read her work agree, it sets the reader on fire. I must also interject some warnings. Just to be fair.

Starting with:

1. If you are faint of heart, beware you may actually faint while reading any of Blevins books.




2. If you are one of those that already has a preconceived idea of what is right and wrong in a romantic relationship her tales are going to blow your mind. 

3. If you are not opened minded, well I don’t know what to tell you…

On that note I’d like to thank Candace for giving me this opportunity to find out what motivates her as an author as well as a person.

Hi Candace and welcome.

Hi Barb! Thanks for having me :)

Shall we begin?

Q.What motivated you to focus on the hardcore aspect of the S/m relationship in your stories?

The softer stuff just doesn’t do it for me, and I write what I’d like to read. While my characters may take things farther than the average reader expects, I hope I’m successful at showing them as ordinary people in every other way.




Ordinary Couples




 Q.What do you think is more acceptable to readers, emotional domination or physical pain?

It probably depends on the reader. Looking through the reviews on Goodreads you’ll find some who are turned on by the S&M I include but aren’t comfortable with the level of D/s the characters agree to, while others love the D/s portions but are squicked by the pain.




You don’t cut corners when it comes to the aspect of the hardcore side of S/m. Plus, you also go into a lot of detail about what this type relationship means as far as the psychological aspect and the BDSM life style as a whole. Thus bringing a much deeper understanding to the storyline of your works due to that factor. Kudos!

Thanks. I’ve tried to show that sadists don’t have to be "mean", and masochists aren’t sick for wanting pain. I also hope to show submissive doesn’t equal weak.





Q.What kind of line of investigation did you follow to find out so much about this?

I’ve been in the lifestyle over twenty years, and have experienced most of the things I write about. My husband and I don’t go to clubs anymore – having kids changed our social life dramatically – but nothing will change the fact I’m a masochist and he’s a sadist. Our lives look pretty normal during the day now, but before kids we played around with heavy duty TPE for a while.




 Q. Do you ever reach a point in writing a book where you have to step back because you felt it is getting too intense? Whether sexually or the complexity of the story itself?
To be honest, I tend to write the BDSM aspects more extreme, and then tone it down. Often, my beta readers show me other areas that need to be softened even more. When my beta readers are alarmed I generally either temper it with some emotion, or just back off on the intensity.


Hard and Soft Rope Floggers
 

With the two Davenport books, I spent a lot of time crying as I wrote. So yes, in that case, the story did a number on my emotions.






 Q. How do you know when writing a setting that it produces the desired or intended result, sexually and otherwise?

I write what I would like to read. I don’t really know if others will like it until my beta readers give me feedback, and I’m always nervous about whether others will like it when a book releases.


 


 Q. How do you keep the main character’s relationship central to the story while still combining other participants (secondary characters) into a BDSM "scene"?

That’s a very good question. I think it boils down to whose emotions and sensations you focus on, though that’s probably an oversimplified answer. Honestly, the hardest part of writing a ménage scene with three men and one woman is you can’t say "his" or "he", you have to keep naming which man is doing what.



 




 Q. Can you explain to our readers about some of the terminology used by those that practice the BDSM lifestyle? For example the word "scene" and what that means when it’s used?

Most couples don’t exchange power full time, and a scene begins when the power exchange begins. The Dom is in control during the scene, and the submissive has given his or her power over to their partner. Whatever rules they’ve agreed to are in force during a scene, and remain that way until the scene ends. For people who have a 24/7 agreement, a scene can be a period of time where the submissive is under "formal rules" as opposed to the every-day rules she usually has to follow. Scenes often involve sex, but don’t have to.





 Q. How do you keep the sex fresh? How do you keep it from feeling repetitive from story to story?

I intend to focus on different styles of BDSM for each story, or in some cases, completely different kinks. My current WIP explores objectification, which is something I haven’t really touched on in my previous books. Every couple is different, with diverse desires, individual kinks. That makes the sex automatically different. Some parts of sex are repetitive, but the things the person is experiencing while it’s happening are different.




 Q. How do you decide on what qualities you give to each of your main characters?

I get to know my characters before I start writing them. I know how they walk, the flow of their hair, what styles they prefer to wear, the tone of their voice, and some basic mannerisms. Some of this I get by people watching when I’m out, but much of it just fits the character right off the bat.



 Q. So what do you draw on as your muse to come up with all those vivid "scenes" you put together?

Experience and memories, for most of them. Twenty plus years is a lot of inspiration.





 Q. How do you cope emotionally with reviewers who seemed to have missed the point of your story completely?
For the ones who use snark to make fun of it, I try to stop reading as soon as I realize that’s what they’re doing. At that point, it’s not about me or my writing, it’s about them trying to look cool, and that means I won’t get anything constructive from them. For the ones who obviously aren’t into BDSM, I read what they say to see if there might have been something I could’ve done to help them understand. For everyone else, I take what I can that’s constructive, and then remind myself not everyone will like every book. Some of my favorite books have one star reviews on Goodreads and Amazon. What we do is subjective.
I’ve spent many years on stage as a performer, where I learned the art of discerning constructive vs venomous criticism, and taking what I can from the former while ignoring the latter. And the other type – the ignorant – if I see something I could have done to help them understand, I make a mental note for future books, but in most cases I don’t see anything I could have done. The warnings are up everywhere the book is sold, and there are plenty of reviewers cautioning people my books aren’t BDSM Lite.

 
Q. Can you tell us some of the pleasures and pitfalls of writing serious BDSM romance?
I love it when someone says they understand the mindset of the masochist now, or they get why someone might want to submit. I hear from many people who thank me for showing a loving sadist instead of the screwed-up mentally damaged sadist so many books portray.
As for the pitfalls – I don’t want to traumatize anyone, but some people don’t read the warnings very well. I always feel a little guilty when someone complains about it being "real pain" and how they don’t think that’s sexy. Well, unless they’re being snarky about it, and then I just try to look away.






 
Q. What makes a romance novel, no matter the genre, a great love story and how would you define "romance"?

 

Fictional romance is all about people coming together to find their Happily Ever After. Whether two people, three people, or more, it’s about people finding a way to join their lives and become a unit.
 
 
 
What makes a great love story? Emotions, depth of character, the challenges they face and the way they handle them? I’m sure there’s more, but that’s what comes immediately to mind.




 Q. Is there a limit to how risqué you will allow your characters to go?

Yes, there are a few hard limits I doubt I’ll cross as an author – things like children, scat, and exhibitionism where the observers didn’t give consent to observe, to name a few things. At this point I don’t plan to write non-consent, but that may change at some point in the future.


I always like to end my interviews with a question "Just For Fun". This is the one I choose for you Candace.

Q. What sort of character would you play in a comic book (hero, humorous sidekick, villain, that abrasive newspaper guy, etc.)

My first thought was that at my age I’d be more likely to be the hero’s mom, but I suppose I could just as easily be some other character that acts as the hero’s advice-giver and support staff. In the right context I could probably play the part of the hero, but really, I think my skills are more of the "ask the right question so the hero figures out his own answers and saves the world in the process" kind of person.


Queen Hippolyta, Wonder Woman's Mother


If it’s an x-rated comic I could play the part of the hero’s sex slave :)



And that brings us to the end of my interview with Author, Candace Blevins.

Thank you again Candace for allowing me this chance to get to know you. I hope you had fun.

And I want to say thank you to those that stopped by. Hope you enjoyed yourselves too!!


Candace and I would love to hear if you enjoyed this interview. So please don’t be shy, leave a comment and say Hi!!

You can visit Candace on the web at
candaceblevins.com and kinkyeverafter.com



 




 

 

 










No comments: