Thursday, June 14, 2012

Interview for RG Porter

Today I’d like to welcome Author of Fantasy, Paranormal and Horror novels Robyn Porter otherwise known as RG Porter.

At the moment Robyn resides in Texas, but admits she’s not a big fan. She plans to move to the UK down the line. Her hubby is from there and they both really want to be by his family. She has two sons, one of which graduates this year.

Robyn has a day job as well. She loves book and movies with fantasy, sci-fi, horror and thrillers as long as there is a great storyline. And she loves online role playing games. (Mmm now there’s some food for the imagination…)*winks*

Robyn’s Bio:
Robyn wrote her first novel,
Shadow of the Wolf, back in 2005, as a way to escape from a chaotic world. Though she never expected her writing to go anywhere, her first novel debuted through Wild Rose Press in 2007. Since then she has continued to write what she is drawn to, whether it be a world where magic and shape-shifters exist or a place where vampires are ready to overthrow the world of humans. Currently she finds herself writing as much as she can. With her first book to be re-released Oct 1st, she plans to have many more novels out in the coming months. From her Darkness Unleashed series to her Guardian's of Nature series, she will continue to bring forth new "…tales of mystery, magic and mayhem". No doubt a Risqué Reviews kind of gal!

Thank you Robyn for taking time out of what I’m sure is a busy schedule to join us.

And now without further ado…I am pleased to introduce Author RJ Porter.

Q. Can you tell us some of the pleasures and pitfalls of simultaneously authoring Fantasy, Paranormal and Horror under the same name?

Personally, for me, I don’t find many pitfalls. If there is one, it is making sure to keep any real gore out of the fantasy and keeping some normalcy in the horror and not going too far out there. At times the lines can be muddled, but it is actually easier to keep them separate than you might think.



Q. How difficult is it to separate the author from the person?

Really, they are so interwoven that the biggest difference is making sure my mind doesn’t wander too much when at work and plotting out too many scenes when I should be focusing on hard numbers and reports. Other than that, the person who writes is who I am through and through.

Q. When is it too soon for the characters in a book to have sex in a non-erotic story?

This is difficult. It mostly depends on the storyline and the characters involved. As in real life, there are no limitations on when two consenting individuals can be together. I think so long as the characters make the scene believable than that is all that matters.

Q. How sexual do your romance novels get?

Mine are very sweet. Since I want a many people to be exposed to what I write, I prefer to keep any ‘sexual encounters’ behind closed doors. I do enjoy including the pull between characters as well as the tension it provides, but past that, I prefer to leave that up to each person’s own imagination.






Q. What do you think is sexier an implied love scene or the actual scene from the first kiss to the grand finale?

I prefer implied. What I write can be great, but what a person feels and takes from what happens beforehand and how they allow it to unfold in their own mind, can be so much more. That, to me, is one of the best things to allow a reader to experience.





Q. How do you cope emotionally with reviewers who seemed to have missed the point of your story completely?

I take what they say, read it, digest it and then keep writing. Not every reviewer can understand what an author writes and sometimes it just slips past them. I do not let it get to me, too much, but talk it over with other authors, get their input and move on. What they don’t get in one book, they might fully catch in the next.


Q. What was the scariest movie you ever saw? Why?

Sadly, not much really scares me. I can appreciate horror movies and what they provide, but none of them have ever made me jump or look behind me. My dreams, well that’s an entirely different story.


    Book you ever read? Why?

I adore Stephen King. He is the master at what he does and I respect all he has accomplished. I loved IT. It took on fears and how they relate to each individual character so well. I bow to the master.

Q. What keeps the pages turning for you when reading?

The flow and interaction with the characters in the story. I want to feel what they feel and see what they see. If I can do that, I’m hooked.

Q. What is your day job?

Ugh, Insurance. Actually, I do enjoy my day job. It is the complete opposite of what I write, but it allows me to remain grounded and keeps the ‘logical’ part of my brain working.

Q. How do you keep the character/relationship central to the story while still combining genres?

I write the way I would see the story unfold as if watching a movie. If I can make them feel and seem real, then the story will hold their relationships at the forefront. Since most people react to life based on daily interactions with those they know and care about, it is just as important to keep that going while writing.

Q. Has there ever been a time when a scene you were writing became too emotional, and you had to step back?

Yes. In one of my stories, the main character discusses her grief for losing her family. To make that feel as real to the reader as possible I drew on the emotions I felt/feel at the memory of my father. There were times when those memories became so vivid in my mind that I had to stop and regroup. But if those emotions came across in the story, then it was worth it.



Q. As you began your journey in writing you say "it was just to escape from a chaotic world". What was the deciding factor to take a stab at getting published?

My friends who had read some of my ramblings ushered me into researching what was required. They felt the adventures that I was writing were worth getting out there. They knew I wrote for the enjoyment, but also knew that it made me happy when I could help others to find an escape from a very chaotic world.

Q. How would you describe your writing style?

If I had to label it I would say I am a pantser. I write as the story unfolds in my head. I may start out with a general idea and a few plotlines jotted down, but once it begins, I let the characters tell the story as they see it. Many times this takes the story into a whole new place I had not expected, but, it has always ended up being worth it. It’s much like I’m just a channel by which the story is told. So long as it is written, the characters within my head are happy.


*I always like to end interviews with a question just for fun. This is the one I choose for you.

Q. What sort of character would you play in a comic book (hero, humorous sidekick, villain, that abrasive newspaper guy, etc.) and why?

I would be the quite studious one who assists the hero but remains out of the lime light. I believe in right, though there are times when bad things still happen, but so long as what is right prevails, that is what matters. This may be why some of my stories can have very bad things happen, but at the same time, have a very strong message woven within the novel.




 
I really enjoyed putting together this interview for you, Robyn. I hope you enjoyed yourself as well.


Want to learn more about Robyn in addition to everywhere you can find her on the net? Go to her blog http://rgporter.blogspot.com/


No comments: