Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Interview with Sex and Seduction Erotic Romance Writer, Kristin Daniels

Today Kristin Daniels talks about why she began writing erotic romance, and about her current battle with Breast Cancer.


As an interviewer I’m happy to find authors intertesting in being interviewed. And thanks to my dear friend Dana Barnes Gudmundson and her chance meeting with Sex and Seduction Erotic Romance writer, Kristin Daniels will be joining us today.

Let me fill you in on what happened. I got a call from Dana at it went a bit like this...



"Barb you are not going to believe who I just met today. An author who writes the kind of stuff you like.

  
I asked..."really and what kind of stuff is that"? " Oh you know that erotic sexy romance stuff, her name is Kristin Daniels. I didn’t know at first she was an author. I asked her what she did and that's when she told me she was an author. I asked if she wrote anything I may have read and she chuckled and said… "Do you read Erotic Romance"? And I thought of you. I told her you’ve got to meet my friend Barb she interviews authors who write what you do!!"

Soon I hope to bring Dana on board that "erotic sexy romance stuff" because she doesn't know what she's missing...Do you hear me Dana???

And from that chance meeting I had the great pleasure of getting to know Kristin. And this opportunity to share with you a bit about Kristin Daniels and what makes her tic.

Until then, this is what her bio on her website tells us about her…

I've always been a reader of romance, but it wasn’t until I discovered the erotic romance genre that I finally figured out what had been missing from all the books I'd read before. The heat, the passion, that was it! My love of reading (any genre, any format...really just anything) led to taking a chance on writing something of my own, and I've been hooked ever since. I call the suburbs of Chicago home, where I live with my own special hero, along with our three great kids.

And now you will get a chance to find out a bit more about Kristin Daniels the author, but also the person behind the books. And if we’re very lucky maybe a little bit about her naughty side.

Welcome, Kristin!  I’m so happy you’ve joined us! And thank you Dana for thinking of me, or none of this would have happened…


Let's begin, shall we?



In your bio you said:"…it wasn’t until I discovered the erotic romance genre that I finally figured out what had been missing from all the books I'd read before."

Q. What specifically was missing?

Simply put, the sex! Up until that point, I’d read a lot of mainstream fiction, science fiction or sweet romances. Once I picked up a book with some steamy sex in it – some explicit sex – I never looked back. There’s something about being so intimate with the characters of a book. You feel what they feel, experience what they experience. There’s nothing better than being taken away from the realities of life by a hot and steamy romance novel!



Q. Do you, like many other writers, secretly harbor dreams of writing a NYT Best Seller? Or do you have another dream that signifies the top of the game to you?

Being a NYT Best Seller would certainly be nice! But honestly, my goal is to write an emotionally driven, exciting story that people will love to read and want to talk about.

Q. Your writing is indeed on the risqué side – what kind of future naughtiness can your readers expect?

Oh, the story ideas that I have running through my head! I’m this close to finishing a BDSM-lite book and after that… Well, I could tell you but then I’d have to… you know. Let’s just say that passion, heat and danger all go hand-in-hand, right? That’s exactly what I have planned for my next few releases.



Q. Have you ever had one of those profound "AH-HA!" moments while you were writing? Would you be willing to share it?

Actually, I’ve had quite a few Ah-ha moments while writing. I’m what’s known as a pantser (meaning I write by the seat of my pants). I start at chapter one and plot as I go. Don’t get me wrong, I typically have a general idea of where the story is headed first, but every once in a while one of those Ah-ha moments grabs hold and changes the direction. Honestly, I love it when that happens!

Q. How do you come up with the names for you characters?


I like names that are common, but aren’t too ordinary. I think a simple character name makes the reading of the book flow easier. I typically go to baby name websites and just browse around. A name will eventually strike me, and that’s the one I have to use. There’s really no rhyme or reason to it, it’s just a feeling I get. But at the same time, I’ve also been known to change character names halfway through writing a book. Again, it’s a feeling. Sometimes the name I pick at the beginning of the book doesn’t fit once I know who the character is, once I get to know them better. So I end up changing it to one that works, and move on from there.


Q. Do you believe a good life is attainable? Or is it something that is out of our control, i.e. subject to luck, etc.


Oh man. I’m such a huge believer in fate. What will be, will be. Everything happens for a reason, that sort of thing. But at the same time, I also believe that we’re each in charge of our own destiny. Life is a challenge. You can’t just sit back and trust that life will bring you whatever it is you desire without ever having to lift a finger. Hard work is key. If you work hard, fate will respond. If you believe in yourself and your loved ones surrounding you, you can do anything you put your mind to. I absolutely believe that a good life is attainable, but you HAVE put effort into it. By doing so, it makes that good life all the sweeter!




Q. Why do you think it is easy to accept the factor of possession and surrender in books and not in real life?


…is it because the "Alpha" factor is ok when it's just a fantasy?


…or is there a "safety" factor that comes with reading as a way to explore
maybe something deeper?


Actually, I believe there are many, many people who accept possession and submission in their real lives. But for those who don’t readily live that type of lifestyle, I think it’s the draw to the unknown, the heat and passion described in the books, and absolutely the pull of an Alpha male that attracts them. They get the chance to explore something so foreign to them, something they might not ever consider in their real lives. And then get to live vicariously through those characters who do. Reading erotic romance is, for a lot of women and men, all about the fantasy of it. To me, fantasy rules! And if a little of that fantasy, if a little of that "something deeper" seeps in to their real life as a result, well, I’m certainly all for that!





Q. Who sees your manuscripts first?

Typically, I have some very good author friends who will beta read my books for me before I send it off to my editor.


Q. When is it time for SEX in a book?

Anytime! Actually, I’m kidding. In erotic romance, the sex has to fit into its place in a book. I’ve started books with sex scenes, but I’ve also written books where it’s taken more than half of it for the main characters to even kiss. So much depends on the plot, the character’s emotions and sometimes even what they’ve experienced in their past or what’s coming up for them in the future that dictates when the sex will take place. Every book —to me—is a journey, one that is as individual as the characters are. As they develop, so does their love story, and in my books the sex is a natural part of that. A necessary part of that. If I write the sex in too soon, I’ll not only disrupt the flow of the love story, but also negate the fact that what I write is romance. And hellooooo, but romance RULES!



I notice a post on your website "A few sexy sentences…" can I just say OH MAMA!

Q. Would you mind stringing a few together for us?

Hmmm… Let’s see. How about this one (which is from the same book, the one I’m writing now):

Just like last night, he swooped her up into his arms, but his destination now wasn’t as far away as his bedroom. As he set her on the couch nearby, she didn’t question him or his motives, or murmur any kind of objection because they might be late. Instead, she laid back against the pillows and pulled him down on top of her. She was damn near breathless, and he hadn’t done anything more than kiss her.

Yet.

She fisted his shirt at his back and tugged. He helped her out by rearing back as she pulled it the rest of the way off, then lunged for the hem on hers. He had her shirt and bra stripped off in within a breath, yet he didn’t dive right back in to kiss her. He stayed there, on his knees between her thighs, dying a little as she cupped her own breasts. And a little more as she swept her thumbs over her nipples. And even more as she arched up toward him.

Damn…

Any notion he might’ve entertained about going slow with her, about taking his time and savoring every inch of her, flew straight out the fucking window. He flicked the button on her jeans and yanked down the zipper, slipping from the couch to land on his knees on the floor in front of her. He grabbed her jeans and panties all at once, jerking on them as she lifted her ass off the couch to make his job a little easier. She chanted breathy yeses and hurry’s as he tossed her jeans to the side.

This time, he didn’t hesitate. He dove right back in, but not to kiss her. With a hand under each knee, he pressed her thighs high against her stomach, which raised her delectable pussy right in line with his mouth. He licked once, twice, God, three full times before he dared to breathe.

Fucking hell, he’d been off. Way off. Sweet didn’t begin to describe how she tasted. Delectable, maybe. Nirvana, possibly.

Perfection, definitely.



(Ummm what? Oh god yes that works. Damn-it where did I put my fan…when did it get so hot in here?)


Q. Also I have to know, was Ellora's Cave's RomantiCon as much fun as it looked on you website?


God, yes. This has to be—hands down—my favorite con to attend. Not only are the guys they bring in as Cavemen sweet and nice and gentlemen to the end, but whoa. Well, just look at them. The word "hot" doesn’t begin to do them justice! But ultimately, it’s not the Cavemen that make this con so great (although they certainly help!). It’s the readers, the authors, and all of the EC staff. We’re all there because we have a single love in common—erotic romance. I’ve met some of my best friends at this con. The laughter never ends, the hugs and kisses are continual, and the support you get from everyone is absolutely priceless.


If you don’t mind I’d like to share one of the pictures from your website…YUM!


After everyone is done drooling over all those lick-o-licious loin clad men...Kristin's the sexy number in the animal print dress...



Q. How was RT this year?


Well… Even though RT was held pretty much in my back yard, I didn’t officially attend this year. I was able to attend Ellora’s Cave’s Hip Hop party Wednesday night and their private luncheon the next morning as one of their authors, but I decided to forgo the rest of the conference in lieu of my current health battles. It was great seeing so many friends and fellow authors at the party, though. I only wish I’d had the energy to attend the whole conference. Next year, though, I’ll be there for the whole thing. I grew up in Kansas City, and can’t wait to go back to visit and attend the RT con being held there.


Which opens up a perfect avenue for my next set of questions about your current health battles. As some of your fans already know you are currently battling Breast Cancer.

I am a survivor of Breast Cancer but will never forget the day when I first got the news. All I heard after my diagnosis was blah, blah, blah. And after the shock wore off, my thoughts went to my family and how this was going to affect them.

Q. What happened when you first heard the word cancer?

Honestly? Tears. Lots of tears. They never really said the word "cancer" in the moments following the mammogram and ultrasound. When I first visited my breast surgeon for the biopsy, however, I asked her point-blank afterward if she thought it was cancer. Her resolute "yes" will stay with me forever.


Q. What helps you when it all becomes too much?

I might sound like a broken record, and some people may not want to hear this, but again the answer is tears. I cry, and get it all out. Because seriously, if I held all of that in—the fear, the anger and all the rest—I know in my heart I’d be worse off than if I’d just take each wave as it hits me. The crying, for me, is so cathartic. Afterward, I pull myself up and face everything head-on once again. I’m a fighter, no doubt, but I also live by my emotions. What can I say, doing it that way works for me.


Q. Do you feel there are areas this has affected more?

Right now? I’m not sure.

I’ve heard that so much about having cancer is discovered in hindsight. When you look back on treatments and surgeries and reconstruction, it will affect you in ways you wouldn’t expect. I’m so caught up in the "right here, right now" aspect of my treatments that I know I’m not taking in the whole picture. And I’m okay with that. My focus right now is me, then my family and close friends. I can’t look too far beyond that, which again, is okay. One step at a time, one day at a time. Hell, sometimes I take it all in one hour at a time.


Kristen thank you for your williness to talk about your battle with Breat Cancer.


Remember this fight isn't just for those who are in the mist of the battle. This fight is to find better and faster ways to detect Breast Cancer so there are more survivors. And if we are very lucky along the way a cure.  This is everyones battle...



To learn more go to the National Breast Cancer Foundation, Inc website http://www.nationalbreastcancer.org/





What do you say we tie up this interview on a lighter note?



Q. You suddenly realize you live in a haunted house. Do you: 

a) run screaming for the door?
b) bravely go to a church, load up on holy water and try to get rid of the ghost?
c) set up ghost hunting equipment to capture the phenomenon?
d) call in the Ghost Adventures crew so that you can ogle the lead guy Zac’s amazingly stiff hair when you’re not ogling his….physical attributes?
e) deny you have a ghost and just let it scare the bejesus out of your visitors?


Okay, let it be known that I’m a BIG chicken. HUGE. Hell, I have PTSD from watching the television version of The Exorcist. So I’m not going to lie when I say that I’d be the first one bolting for the door. Of course, if the Ghost Adventure guy Zac wanted to follow me out and take me to dinner to make sure I was okay, I wouldn’t complain one little bit!



Alas, that brings us to the end of our interview with Kristin Daniels.

Barb: I really enjoyed getting to know you, Kristin. Thank you for taking time out of your schedule to do this interview. And for being so open about your battle with Breast Cancer.

Kristin: You’re very welcome! Thanks for having me!



To learn more about Kristin and her books make sure to stop by her website. http://www.kristindaniels.com/

To read the posts I’ve mentioned in this interview just click on these links.
A few Sexy Sentences and Ellora's Cave's RomantiCon


























 

No comments: