Monday, May 21, 2012

Interview with Author of Contemporary and Fantasy Romance Rachel Carrington

I like to introduce Author of Contemporary and Fantasy Romance Rachel Carrington. May was a very busy month for Rachel with three new releases in her new Vampire Destined series.




May 4th, the first book in the Vampires Destined series, Vampire Cursed.







May 31st, the second book in the Vampires Destined series, Vampire Forgotten.



Now I’m just a sucker (pun intended) for a good vampire story. So for me that news is very intriguing. But vampires aren’t all that Rachel’s writes about. Actually she usually has a book release almost every month. Yep you read that right. Which includes but is not limited to Paranormal Romance, Romantic Suspense, Fantasy, Contemporary Romance, and Historical Romance, I think you get the point.


Rachel Carrington began her career writing fantasy romances of powerful wizards and wicked witches. Since then, she has branched out into contemporary romance and romantic suspense and has had books published with Ellora’s Cave, Samhain Publishing, Red Sage Publishing, and more.

Currently, a freelance editor/writer residing in historical Charleston, South Carolina, Rachel has written non-fiction articles for Absolute Write, The Writer’s Journal, Writing for Dollars, Writer’s Magazine, and Writer’s Weekly.

Because she likes staying busy, Rachel has also taught classes for Suite 101 and for author groups regarding promoting, writing, starting your own business, and editing.

When not writing, Rachel loves to read romantic suspense (Lisa Gardner and Roxanne St. Claire are two of her favorites), rework old furniture, cross-stitch, cook, and drink lots of coffee.
Want to stay linked to Rachel Latest News just click and like magic you’ll be there!

Welcome Rachel and thank you for joining us.

Shall we begin?


Q. When did you begin teaching author groups regarding promoting, writing, starting your own business, and editing?


I started writing many, many years ago when I was sixteen, but my first book didn’t get published until 2002. It took me three or four years to get to the point where I felt like I had something to offer other authors.


*Just for fun, how would you answer these questions if students in one of your classes ask them?






  • What makes a romance novel a great love story and how would you define "romance"?

 

      A great love story involves so much more than just two people coming together to find love. There has to be something that keeps them apart, prevents the two hearts from finding their happily ever after.

      Romance, to me, is something that stirs the heart like an elderly couple holding hands as they walk through fallen leaves or a just married couple leaving the church. I don’t think it can necessarily be defined in just the few sentences the dictionaries give it.
      A romance, to me, is a quintessential story of two hearts trying to find their way to happily ever after. The heroine and the hero usually don’t even know that’s what they’re looking for, and most of the time, it sneaks up on them. That sudden spark of "he/she’s the one for me" is timeless.

      A good love story makes you feel for the hero and heroine. A great love story makes you want to be one of those characters. 

  • When is it too soon for the characters in a book to have sex in a non-erotic story?

    • I don’t personally have a timeline. It’s all a matter of how the characters are connecting. When the time is right, I know it. I’ve had characters have sex at the beginning of a book and some not until the end.

  • Why do you think it is so easy to accept the factor of possession and surrender in books and not in real life?


    • I don’t think of it as possession and surrender as much as it’s a connection, a strong passion that makes both the hero and the heroine want to be with the other so desperately, they’re willing to lay aside any doubts or fears. They belong to each other so no one possesses the other, and there is no need for surrender.


  • …is it because the "Alpha" factor is ok when it's just a fantasy?
I think a true Alpha male is the one who believes in the heroine as much as he loves her. He doesn’t just want to possess her as much as unite with her to create a strong bond. Separate, they are strong. Together, they are unstoppable.




  • …or is there a "safety" factor that comes with reading as a way to explore maybe something deeper?

I do believe there is a safety factor that comes with reading. We can explore things outside the realm of possibility, things that just would not happen in our real lives and world. Any good writer will stretch the boundaries because he/she knows the reader wants to step outside his/her current world and enter a fiction reality.


*We now return you to your regular scheduled interview…*winks*


Q. When you completed your novels do you breathe a sigh of relief, or do you feel sad the experience has ended?

Definitely a sigh of relief. Because by the time I’m nearing the finish line, I’ve put those characters through the wringer. And I’m ready to give them their happily ever after.

Q. Do you, like many other writers, secretly harbor dreams of writing a NYT Best Seller? Or do you have another dream that signifies the top of the game to you?

I’d be lying if I said I wouldn’t love that honor, but I know that as long as I’m writing and my readers enjoy what I write, I’m at the top of my game.


Q. What are your comfy clothes?

Pajamas, but the shirts have to have short sleeves. I’ve lost count of the number of pairs I own.


Q. As a child what dreams did you have of want you wanted to be when you grew up?

I actually had dreams of being a singer. I wanted to be that person who captures the attention of audiences much like Adele does now.






Q. Have you ever had one of those profound "AH-HA!" moments while you were writing? Would you be willing to share it?

I have. It was when I was writing Indigo Spell, the first book in my Hot Magic series. That story includes wizards and witches, and I remember stopping in the middle of a magical scene and realizing this is what I wanted to do. Not just write, but create these stories that are so magical readers will stop in the middle and have that same WOW moment.





Q. Did you have a hero as a child?

My third grade teacher, Mrs. Bridges, was my hero. She made class fun, took time with her students, and let us express ourselves in a non-judgmental way. She helped her students do so much more than learn; she helped them grow.



"What is a teacher? I'll tell you: it isn't someone who teaches something, but someone who inspires the student to give of her best in order to discover what she already knows."
Paulo Coelho,The Witch of Portobello







*I always like to end interviews with a question just for fun. This is the one I choose for you.

Q. If you could have one superhuman power, what would it be, and why?

I’d love to be able to fly because I love to travel, and I could save so much money on airfare. LOL





Rachel thanks so much for joining us! I hope you had a good time.

To find out more about Rachel Carrington and her work make sure to visit her website at http://dawnrachel.com












         
         
         
         
         
         
         
         
         
         
         

           


           

        No comments: