Monday, April 2, 2012

Interview with Multi-published Author Keta Diablo

Intro:

Keta Diablo own words…Things I adore: Family, writing, books, movies, friends, readers, candles, goat milk soap, Cinderella (I'm still looking for my glass slipper) animals, bloggers, LEO (no, not the astrological sign). I mean the *Leo* as in DeCaprio. Come back soon! I might add some new fave things. Keta







Now Keta why do I suddenly feel like singing "these are a few of my favorite things…"

Actually Keta allow me fill in the rest. Keta is a multi-published author of paranormal, historical, erotic romance and gay fiction. When she isn’t writing she spends entirely too much time reading. In the summer months she spends a lot of time outdoors in her flower garden. And also frequents the local animal shelter and would love to bring all the abandoned and neglected fur creatures home if she could.

Her books have received numerous Top Pick, Book of the Month, and Recommended Read awards from top professional review sites.

Interview:

Thank you Keta for joining us I’m so glad we finally we able to set a time for this interview. Today I am are going to talk to Keta about a lot of things, specialty when it comes to her m/m stories.

Hi Barb, thanks so much for hosting The Sin Eater’s Prince on the FAB Risque Reviews. I’m happy to be here.

Shall we begin?

Q. Are there any guiding factors involved when you are writing a love scene between two men?

I try to stay in the heads of the main characters. Men react different to situations in life (as women know). Let’s say they have a spat in the story. I think men are more direct in resolving the issue with their actions and their speech. They don’t rule with emotion, but from a more logical standpoint. Sometimes it’s hard to keep that in mind when I write gay fiction.

Q.  How do you get into the head of your characters when writing an m/m sex scene?

By the time I snuggle up with my laptop, I know my characters quite well. I’ve gone over the story, every scene, the clothing, and the dialogue in my head many times before I actually write. Let’s hope I know them well enough to react appropriately. For example, Frank McGuire, the private investigator from my CROSSROADS series is a very no-nonsense, take-no-prisoner’s kind of guy. He doesn’t mince words or actions. His partner (lover) in the series, Rand Brennan, is a college student and more fragile emotionally. He’s had a lot to deal with while falling in love with Frank. You can read more about the best-selling CROSSROAD series here on Amazon. WARNING: Intense and graphic man-love sex.
HERE ON KINDLE


Q. How do you keep the character/relationship central to the story while still combining genres? For example, The Sin Eater's Prince on Kindle , you have many genres running throughout; historical, paranormal, and m/m romance.


In The Sin Eater’s Prince I do cover a lot of territory. The novel is set in Wales, a mystical land with oodles of legend and lore. I really enjoyed researching all the creatures in this book. The Welsh believed in faeries, brownies, gnomes and all types of magical creatures. You’ll find an abundance of the paranormal in The Sin Eater’s Prince, including vampires and werewolves.



Q. Where did you get the idea to write The Sin Eaters Prince?

I read an article about sin eaters. They really existed throughout the centuries in England, Wales and Ireland. The local villagers believed when someone passed on to the other world, they carried a plethora of sins from this life. Every village had a sin eater, or if they didn’t, they’d call on one from a neighboring village. The sin eater would show up at the house, stand over the dead body and partake of bread, sometimes ale, and say a prayer. The prayer or chant absolved the dead person of his earthly sins because the sin eater absorbed them. The sin eater was considered unholy because of all the sins he carried so he was always shunned by the villagers.

I just love this cover


Q. How are fans responding to your book? 

Very well, thank you. The reviews on Amazon have been great! I think people are always drawn by the paranormal; something they believe might exist or does exist in our world.


Q. Can you give just a morsel to tickle our taste bud, wet our... (Well lets just leave that part blank shall we) about to The Sin Eaters Prince?

Sure. This is a short snippet from the beginning of the story. Owen Rhys, the sin eater, has attended a dying woman at her abode. The local physician, Andras Maddock, is also present. With his duties complete, Owen must travel back to his humble dwelling outside the village. Andras warns him to be careful since the forest is not always safe at night. In this scene, Owen encounters a vampire and Andras suddenly appears to save him from death.

Snippet:

What else had his father said? ‘A vampire can not enter a private dwelling unless the occupant grants permission. Most vampire attacks occur outside the home in isolated areas at night.’ Get up, Owen, you dolt! Run! You’ve got to make it home!

Clambering to his knees, he stilled from a flash of something in the clearing ahead. Beneath a canopy of evergreens, a bestial being appeared in his line of vision. No, not a predator of the forest but an upright human form. Shrouded in a black cloak, his white skin shone like a beacon under the inky sky. Danger seized Owen as the phantom advanced at a foot-dragging pace. His eyes crazed with blood lust, his lips were drawn into a snarl that bared his lethal white fangs. Owen’s throat constricted with fear, yet he remained seized by the timeless features and hypnotic eyes. Time ceased to exist, and his immortality rushed to the forefront. Death was imminent; he felt it with every fiber of his being.



 
Q. What is the biggest misconception about M/M fiction you think most people have?



Lol – That’s easy: Women can’t write gay fiction. Of course, there are many who say men can’t write romance. Writing is fiction and I believe authors can cross many genres if they have the desire to do it. It helps if they know their subject well too. I don’t think it’s true that women can’t write gay fiction or that men can’t write decent romance.

Q.  Do you feel that erotic fiction is getting the recognition it deserves in the publishing world?


I think erotic romance and erotica is suddenly coming in to its own, and it’s about time. Woohoo! For a long time, what we read was controlled or manipulated by the largest publishing houses in New York. Now that INDIES have come into their own, many different types of books are being published. This is a good thing. One thing about Indies, they must pay attention to what readers want to read. If they don’t, their books fail. If you read the background deets on an Indie book called 50 Shades of Grey, you’ll discover why it’s so popular. It’s an erotic bondage novel and women are dying to get their hands on book 2 now. One thing about the new ereader’s is that we can read whatever we want and no one knows what we’re reading. Ereader’s have brought a new sense of freedom into our world and also a variation of many different books.



Q. Being a straight female I never thought one thing or another about the m/m material. That has changed. Can you say YUM? Why do you think straight females love m/m stories? How much do you think is stereotyped to make it interesting to the female readers?

I think women are very curious about men and relationships, or how men deal with relationships. It’s a desire to have a better understanding of what makes men tic. One way to understand them better is to read some gay fiction. They say Men Are From Mars, Women From Venus, and I think that’s for the most part true. We can’t do anything about the differences in our DNAs except one thing: Try to understand the opposite gender better. Reading is one way we can learn more about the male species.
 

 

Q.  Is there a growing faction looking for more serious novels with less emphasis on the sexual content when it comes to m/m romance fiction?

There’s a growing faction looking for more serious plots, better writing in all genres. Authors want their books to grab hold of the reader until the very last page. If we can accomplish this, we’ve reached one goal. Plot always comes before the sex for me. The sex, whether homoerotic or hetero erotic, is an added bonus. If there is not substance or story to the book, I lose interest very fast. I imagine it’s that way for readers too.


Q. Do you prefer books where the problem is plot and external to the relationship or where the character has a “hang up”?

I don’t intend to be either a plot-driven or a character-driven writer when I start a story, but now that I think about it, I guess I’m character-driven. The plot comes about from the characters’ backgrounds, their life experiences, where they live or what’s happening at the time where they live. But I’m most concerned about what makes the character “what” he/she is. What drives them to act the way they do or react the way they do? What happened to them prior to the story? To me, that’s the really intriguing thing about writing – watching the characters grow and develop. I’m going to refer to Crossroads again here. In the first novella, Frank has a lot of baggage and isn’t well-liked by readers. I intended for that to happen. By the end of novella 4, readers have an entirely different outlook on Frank. He had to have terrible qualities in order to be redeemed. If he remained the same throughout 4 stories, he’d be a “snore” character, boring.


Q. There are a lot of reviewers out there. What advice would you tell other writers when looking for a review site to submit their books too?

Ah, this is a difficult question. Without bloggers/reviewers word wouldn’t get out our books. They’re an integral part of the writing process. I look for bloggers I know like the genres I write. My pet peeve when it comes to reviewers/readers is if I get a bad review based on the subject of the story. Lord knows, I put enough warnings on Kindle and on my web site to notify them that the book is graphic or intense. Recently, I had a one star review for the first novella of Crossroads on Amazon. I didn’t say anything, but it really frosts me when the reviewer says it’s raw or borders on rape. Hello? Did you read the warning? Or if a reviewer says, "This isn’t a romance, it’s a paranormal." When that happened for Holding On To Heaven I have to ask myself how much romance they want? There are two plots and two separate romances taking place in Holding On To Heaven. So, I do my homework about what bloggers read before I turn over my books. No sense having the read a book they wouldn’t like before they read the first page, right?

Q. When you completed your novels do you breathe a sigh of relief, or do you feel sad the experience has ended?

One word answer here: Relief.


Q. What do you think is sexier an implied love scene or the actual scene from the first kiss to the grand finale? Despite if it’s gay fiction or heterosexual.


Again, this depends on the scene and where the characters are in their relationship. And it also hinges on the "character" of the person (see above). Some characters are more patient, tolerant; others might be forward or a type A personality. I think writers need to take that into account. I think a scene can be very erotic without direct sex. There’s something to say about sexual tension.







Q. Have you ever had one of those profound "AH-HA!" moments while you were writing? Would you be willing to share it?


Not while writing because I plot the story out in my head long before I sit down to write. But yes, I have had Ah-ha moments in my thoughts. And not long ago, I had one in my dreams. I had the opening for a story but wasn’t sure where to take it from there. And suddenly, I dreamed about the story, the characters and it all played out. I know that sounds strange, but if you spend hours thinking about the story, it’s not so weird to think you could dream about them.

That brings us to the end of our interview  Keta, I hope you had a good time. thank you again for joining us.

Thanks again, Barb. Great questions. You know I love Risqué Reviews Website and Reviewer Extraordinaire, RR’s warm, friendly blog. And I visit often.

Thank you for all you do in support of authors.



You can find out more about Keta here:
Keta is a multi-published author of paranormal and historical romance and gay fiction. In 2009, her erotic romance Decadent Deceptions was a finalist in the RWA Molly contest. In 2010, Keta's entry Phoenix Rising finaled in the Scarlet Boa contest and in 2011 Keta's acclaimed paranormal shifter, Where The Rain is Made (Here on KINDLE) was nominated by Authors After Dark for a Bookie Award and by Deep In The Heart of Romance for Best Romance of the Year.
Many of her books, including her gay fiction series CROSSROADS, have won numerous awards: Top Reviewer's Pick, Recommended Read and Best Book of the Month.
If you'd like to know more about Keta and her latest releases, she haunts the Net here:

Keta's Keep Blog, http://ketaskeep.blogspot.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ketadiablo
Facebook Fan page: http://www.facebook.com/KetaDiablo.Author
Gay Fiction Blog:
http://thestuffofmythandmen.blogspot.com






 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: