Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Review for Lady of the Drake by J.V. Altharas



The writing was Great and Original


Title: Lady of the Drake
Author: J.V. Altharas
Release Date: Oct 26, 2011
Genre: Paranormal, fantasy, erotica,
MF with ménage sex scenes FFM, MFM, MFFM, some bondage
Pages: 167
Publisher: Ravenous Romance
Series: N/a
Format: pdf
ISBN: 9781607774549
Posted: November 22 2011
Reviewer: Mary NW
Rating: 4.5
Heat Level: 2


Risqué Reviews Top Pick Award



Summary/Blurb:

Lana's village is being destroyed by a devastating plague, and she's determined to find the cure. But on her way through the forest she finds a fantastic world of dragons, magic, and the seductive Alaron, keeper of the forest.
But as she revels in pleasure and magic, her world is dying- and there may be no one to save it!




Review:

Lady of the Drake by J.V Altharas is a MF story with FF, FFM and MFM sex scenes. I must say that I was not expecting the surprise ending. I did indeed find my happy ending but not the ménage I was hoping for in this story. However, the more I read, the more points the story gained.


Dragons! I like dragons’ stories. The market is not oversaturated with dragons as it is with werewolves. I had never read J.V Altharas so I read with a fresh open mind and was half surprised to discover that J.V. Altharas is a male. I wonder if the initials are a voluntary choice since 99% of erotica authors are women. But once I knew, I understood why I could not give this book 5 stars. But not because Altharas is a man. Men do write erotica differently and generally there is something missing. I liked this story a lot. In fact, I really started to lose myself in the middle of the story. The first chapters were a bit boring for me. The human, Lana, meets a stranger in the woods who turns out to be the dragon, Alaron. Alaron wants her as his mate who is not sure if she can leave her human life behind because she loves her best friend, Darus, enough to have sex with him, but not enough to marry him. Yep. Déjà vu.

But then, I started to appreciate little details. Lana is not a virgin. She loves sex, but will not commit if she does not love with all her heart. The decision to leave her human life is not immediate but takes a couple of months which is somehow credible from my point of view, paranormal story or not. The stranger is not an arrogant alpha. The transition from Dark Ages fantasy world into a paranormal fantasy world is believable. Maybe because Dragons have always been associated with knights and Dark Ages? Most likely.

I was a bit upset at first that the expected ménage MFM did not happen, but I kept reading the story because the plot kept me curious and the writing was good. Then the multiple partners showed up: MFF, FF, MFM, MFFM. And this is where I find the difference between a female and male writing erotica. The details are different. The way the sex scenes are described is different. A male is more general when describing sex scenes versus a woman who concentrates more on details and sensations. Maybe it has nothing to do with genre. J.V. Altharas wrote another erotica called Sugar and Spice a FF story. It seems Altharas is more interested in FF and would rather not add a M in the mix. 


I was not moved by the FFM or the sex scenes in general. They simply were not burning hot for me. However, besides the sex scenes, the writing was great and original. 

There is hope however for my MFM story in book 2. There is an obvious opening for a series with thirteen brother dragons. But the best friend, Darus, who I thought would be part of a happy ménage ending with Lana has too large of a role in the story for Altharas to refuse him his own book.




Originally Posted at Risqué Reviews Website on November 11, 2012

Reviewed by Mary NW
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: