Monday, February 6, 2012

Interview With Author Sarah Grimm



Romance author Sarah Grimm writes everything from ‘page turning, edge of your seat suspense,’ to contemporary romance with a touch of suspense. Her books vary in heat levels. All are sexy, a few downright hawt.



As a young girl, Sarah always had a story to tell. At times they were funny, other times scary, but they always ended with a happily-ever-after.

Sarah spent years scribbling in notebooks, filling the pages with partial chapters and the margins with titles and story ideas. She told friends that the characters spoke to her, and that she was compelled to get their stories on paper. Eventually, she sat down at a computer and wrote her first tale of dangerously sexy suspense. That book, Not Without Risk, is a 2011 Readers Favorite Award Winner.

Sarah lives in West Michigan with her husband, two sons and three miniature schnauzers. Between mom's taxi service, parts runs, and answering the phone for the family marine repair business, Sarah can be found curled in her favorite chair, crafting her next novel.



Sarah loves to hear from her readers.
sarah@sarahgrimm.com



Welcome Sarah and thank you for allowing Risqué Reviews this opportunity to discover more about you. Shall we begin?


Q. So what kind of reactions did you get when you told your friends that “the characters spoke to you”? And how old were you exactly the first time this happened?
I’ve never been snubbed or threatened to be committed when people learn I hear voices. Honestly, I don’t recall anyone being surprised by the news. You see, I’ve always been a bit of an odd duck—quirky and loud, a daydreamer who is a bit too impulsive. I was the child you would find talking to an empty room. The one who carried a notebook everywhere she went and would often drift away from the conversation to write. Because of this, my friends have always been a bit ‘quirky’ as well.
Q. Right out of the gate your first book Not Without Risk got the 2011 Readers Favorite Award. Did you feel any anxiety when you began writing your next book?


 




My second book, After Midnight, was already completed when Not Without Risk won the award, and I was actively writing my third book. Do I feel any anxiety when I sit down at the keyboard after that win? No more than normal.
Some days, usually when the words just won’t come, I have moments of ‘who’s going to read this anyway?’ Those days I’m filled with anxiety, but that would be true with or without the award.



                                                              After Midnight Blurb:
Thirteen years—that's how long Isabeau Montgomery has been living a lie. After an automobile accident took her mother's life, Izzy hid herself away, surviving the only way she knew how. Now she is happy in her carefully reconstructed life. That is until he walks through the door of her bar...

Black Phoenix singer/front man Noah Clark came to Long Island City with a goal--one that doesn't include an instant, electric attraction to the dark-haired beauty behind the bar. Coaxing her into his bed won't be easy, but he can't get her pale, haunted eyes nor her skill on the piano out of his head.

Can Noah help Isabeau overcome the past? Or will her need to protect her secret force her back into hiding and destroy their chance at happiness?

Warning: This book contains hot as hell rock stars and sex that will straighten your hair.
 Purchase Links: Amazon / Wild Rose Press / B&N





Q. What motivates you? (other than those characters demanding to be heard)

Maintaining my sanity! Seriously, writing is my escape. When I write I’m not thinking about my problems, the taxes, or how I’m going to pay the electric bill. I’m not worried about the state the world is in. We all need to escape now and then. For me, this comes with writing.


Q. Do you believe a good life is attainable? Or is it something that is out of our control i.e. subject to luck etc.
A little bit of both, actually. With hard work and dedication, I believe a good life is attainable. Luck, however, can play a big role in going from good to great.
Q. Tell us about what happens when you start a book. Does the plot take form first or does the idea come first? Do you then outline the direction (plot) and follow through?
The idea comes first. I’m a panster – which means I don’t outline, I just ‘fly by the seat of my pants’. When I start a book, the only thing I usually know are my characters’ names and how they first meet. I have a general idea of where they’re going to end up, but no idea how they get there. That way I’m just as surprised as the reader with the way the story unfolds.
Q. Do your characters ever “get in the way” when writing a scene?
All the time! I’ve learned not to fight them. After all, they know their story better than I do. (That makes me sound a bit ‘off my rocker’, doesn’t it? LOL)
Q. There are a lot of reviewers out there. What advice would you tell other writers when looking for a review site to submit their books too?
Do your homework. Don’t just send your book to every review site out there. Take a closer look at the site first. What type/genre book does the site review? Does it have a positive reputation? Are the reviews well written or do they tend to bash the book without giving any constructive criticism?
It’s impossible to please everyone, which is why as a writer, it is so important that when we hear someone doesn’t like our work, we also get an explanation of why they didn’t like it. That way we can take the information and move forward.
Q. How do you come up with the names for your leading characters?
Wow, that’s a tough one!  Sometimes my characters come to me fully formed, names and all. Other times I struggle to name them. When I wrote After Midnight, Noah (the hero) had a totally different name. A name that didn’t really fit him. But he was a bit stubborn and wouldn’t tell me his true name until the book was in edits.
Q. Would you say your stories are character or plot driven? Can you have one without the other?
Definitely character driven. But can a book have characters with no plot or plot with no characters? I don’t think it can. Although no one seems to be able to agree on how many plots there are, most can agree that a plot driven book, one where the characters fall flat, will not engage the reader as well as a character driven book. Plots are basically standard, it’s what the characters do in certain situations that changes everything and makes for an engaging read.
Q. When you’re not dreaming up the next book what do you do, as my father would say… “That’s nice dear but can you pay the bills”?
During the day I’m as an office manager/bookkeeper for a local blueberry farm and packing house. Eight months out of the year I also oversee the farm store and the college students who work there.
Q. I know in your bio you mention from a young age you always had a tale to tell. Was writing always your goal?
No, it actually wasn’t. Had you asked Sarah Grimm, the young girl, what she wanted to be when she grew up, she would have given a different answer every time. My dream changed like the blowing of the wind through the trees, or with whatever story I was reading. Then, I picked up my first romance novel and that was it for me. I was in love with falling in love, and knew that’s what I wanted to do when I grew up: Get married, have children, and write romance.
Q. Besides writing, are there other goals you’ve yet to achieve?
I would love to visit England and Scotland. I haven’t met that goal yet.
Then there’s the goal a lot of authors have…hitting the NYT Bestseller’s list. I haven’t met that one yet, either. *grin*




Let’s close our interview with something amusing…



Q. What sort of character would you play in a comic book (hero, humorous sidekick, villain, that abrasive newspaper guy, etc.)



Oh, boy! The writer side of me would be the villain. I’m cruel to my characters. The things I put them through before they get their happily-ever-after—the heartache and loss, the physical suffering—I’m downright villainous to them.

The non-writer side of me would be the person in the red shirt. (Oh wait, that’s from Star Trek.) You know the character I’m talking about, the one no one remembers. The first victim or maybe the sidewalk vendor. ROFL That’s not to say I’m unimportant, just too normal for most to pay too close attention to.
That brings us to the end of our interview Sarah. I hope you had fun. I certainly enjoyed getting to know you.
And I predict the next adventure your characters start bugging you about will be very arousing! (As she slowly licks her lips while they turn into an amused as well as licentious grin).

If you would like to learn more about Sarah and her works go to her website at http://www.sarahgrimm.com or check out her blog http://www.authorsarahgrimm.blogspot.com




No comments: