Saturday, December 3, 2011

Interview for Lucy Felthouse


Lucy is a graduate of the University of Derby, where she studied Creative Writing. During her first year, she was dared to write an erotic story - so she did. It went down a storm and she's never looked back. Lucy has had stories published by Cleis Press, Constable Robinson, Noble Romance, Ravenous Romance, Summerhouse Publishing, Sweetmeats Press and Xcite Books. She is also the editor of Uniform Behaviour and Seducing the Myth. Find out more at http://www.lucyfelthouse.co.uk. You can also find her on Facebook and Twitter.

Thank you Lucy giving me the opportunity for this interview. I am looking forward to getting to know more about you and your work!! 
Let’s see your stories revolve around ménage (M/F/F Erotica, M/F/M Erotica, M/F/M Voyeurism Erotica) Erotic Paranormal Romance, F/F Erotica, Oral Sex Erotica, BDSM Erotica, Voyeurism Erotica, Mixed Theme Erotica, Erotic Myths & Legends, Bisexual Erotica, GLBTQ, Cop/Criminal Themed Erotica, F/F Erotic Paranormal Romance, M/F Erotica, M/F Paranormal Erotic Romance… One thing is certain you are not timid about the type of subject matter you write about.



  • What is the biggest misconception about erotica that you think most people have?

The biggest misconception is that people think the authors must have done everything they're writing about. Some people believe we are all promiscuous, whip-wielding, PVC wearing types. It’s not true! I'm in a relationship with a guy – just one! – and everything I write about is purely from my imagination. You don't really think I've had sex with a vampire, do you?

  • Is there another genre that you’ve ever thought of exploring?

Yes. I'd really like to start writing some m/m. It's definitely in the pipeline, so watch this space!

  • Is there a genre that you don’t ever see yourself writing?

Sci-fi. It's not a genre I'm a huge fan of, though there are always exceptions, of course.

  • How would you describe your writing style?

Easy-reading, with humour and hot sex. I hope!

  • Is there something you would refuse to write into a story?

Only the usual taboos; kids, incest, bestiality, etc. Anything that is morally wrong or simply disgusting and I won't go near it. I know that kind of stuff is increasingly popular, but it's just not something I'm interested in writing.

  • Am I correct that all of you titles to date are short stories? Do you have any further plans to write a full length novel?

Right now, yes, most of my stuff is short stories – though I have a couple of pieces between 10 and 12k, which some categorize as a novella. However, I have just finished a 22k novella for one of my publishers, which should be coming out next spring. I am also planning to write more novellas, and gradually work up to novel length. I'm sure I'll get there eventually!

  • How do you keep the character/relationship central to the story while still combining genres?

To be honest, I don't think too deeply about it. I just write what comes naturally, then when I'm editing and polishing things for submission I make sure that the story does what I wanted it to.

  • Has there ever been a time when a scene you were writing became too emotional, and you had to step back?

Yes. When I was writing my short story/novella for Noble Romance, Love Through Time, I found myself getting creeped out by what I was writing. The hairs on the back of my neck actually stood up at one point. It was supposed to be spooky, though, so that was a good thing!

  • Are there any guiding factors involved when you are writing a love scene?

Positioning can get difficult sometimes – particularly if there are more than two people involved. So you have to remember to pay attention to where hands, arms and legs are, who's on top, etc. Other than that, I try to remember to mix things up and make sure all love scenes don't sound the same. However, many of my characters aren't even doing it in a bed, so that's often not a problem! ;)

  • How difficult is it for you to put your characters into situations that will hurt them?

I don't think I do, really. I'm generally pretty nice to my characters. They're either falling in love, having totally hot sex or fun adventures. I've written some BDSM erotica where people are getting physically hurt, but only in a way that they enjoy!

  • How do you decide on what qualities you give your hero? Your heroine?

I don't. My characters often wander into my head fully-formed, or develop as I'm writing them. I don't make a list of attributes or personality traits before writing. I just see what happens as I write, and what fits in with the story I'm telling.

  • What keeps the pages turning for you when reading?

Tension, a fascinating plot, hot sex, engaging characters and being desperate to find out how it's all going to end!

  • Tell us about what happens when you start a book. Does the plot take form first or does the idea come first? Do you then outline the direction (plot) and follow through?

I am really not a planner when it comes to short stories. I just get a spark of an idea and start writing, and see how it goes. With the novella I just finished, though, I had my outline but I had to make sure it stayed within a word count and the genre that the publisher was looking for. I also had to make sure things stayed consistent and that the tension and interest was maintained over the longer word count, so I did some planning there. It was only basic notes about the main characters and a rough outline of the story. I didn't stick to it rigidly, though. The story still took on a life of its own as I'd originally planned five chapters and ended up with ten!

  • What kind of reactions do you get from your family about your chosen fields in story writing? (You know I had to ask this question)

Not all of them know. I basically tell people if I think they'll be cool with it. The others are in the dark, though I suspect some of them know but just haven't said anything.

  • A few of you stories feature BDSM themes. When does BDSM become abuse?

You're asking the wrong person. The BDSM I've written tends to stay on the very mild end of the scale – a bit of light bondage, some playful spanking, etc. Anything heaver is not something I could ever see myself writing as I don't understand the lifestyle and relationships fully enough.

  • What do you think is more acceptable to readers, emotional domination or physical pain?

That's a question I can't really answer. It depends on the reader. Some will accept one more than the other, or both, or none. Everyone is different.

  • Is D/s different from BDSM?

Again, I don't know enough about the lifestyle to give an informed answer, but I suspect yes. I think there's a difference between a couple engaging in some playful spanking and tying up, than a couple being fully into the power play of domination and submission. But I'm far from being an expert, so please take this as my opinion only!

  • What is your favorite gender combination in ménage?

I don't mind, really. Men and women are both sexy in their own ways so it's easy to take that sexiness and times it by however many are in a story. I've only written a few ménage tales as sometimes I find it difficult to come up with a realistic plot in which a ménage would take place, but it's definitely something I'll be writing more of in the future. One of my upcoming projects is going to be a m/f/m ménage.

  • Do you think there is a difference between ménage sex and ménage relationship? Are the two one and the same? Or can one be without the other?

Yes, there's definitely a difference, in exactly the same way you can have sex with someone without there being a relationship there. There are so many different connotations, as a couple could invite someone into their bed on a one-off basis, or a more permanent one. However, the part I find most difficult to write is how three or more people could make it work on a permanent basis, purely because I don't know enough about it. There are many authors out there that do a brilliant job of writing it, though, so I don't need to! ;)

  • What does Lucy Felthouse do when she isn’t writing?

I read, I watch films and TV, spend time with my other half, go out walking and exploring the British countryside, country houses, castles, etc. I also run my own PR & Marketing business, so I do an awful lot of that, too!

Thank you Lucy for taking the time out of your busy schedule and letting us have this opportunity to get to know you!

Be sure to check out the excerpt below for Love Though Time.

*****

Westbury Hall is a stately home with a fascinating past, and when book conservator Emily Stone starts uncovering it, she’s startled by what she finds . . . .

Emily arrives at Westbury Hall with a job to do. She’s to clean and conserve all of the books in their impressive library, preserving them for future generations. Not long into her stay at the house, she bumps into the night guard, George. She’d expected an old, balding guy with a comb over, so the hunky chap she actually meets is a very pleasant surprise. The introductions complete, George leaves Emily in peace to get on with her job. But when a falling photograph sets off a chain reaction of ghostly events, Emily and George are thrown together in order to find out who—or what—is causing them. Their investigation uncovers a tragic past, a lost love, and a stunning secret.





No comments: