Thursday, October 13, 2011

When Was The Last Time You Read A Good Book?




The time to begin writing an article is when you have finished it to your satisfaction. By that time you begin to clearly and logically perceive what it is you really want to say.

~Mark Twain~




 




That was the quote that got me thinking about writing this. It has been rolling around inside my head for a while. So here it goes Mark…wish me luck!


Sitting here working on some new postings and changes on my website I was telling some friends about some of the stuff I’m doing, and; giggling, one said me… “you and those sexy vampires you read about all the time, how do you find the time”? Well the first thing I realized was even though she’d said she seen my site, clearly that wasn’t the case. Then I found myself trying to defend the “types” of books by explaining that while yes there is plenty of sexy vampires… werewolves… dragons oh gosh even a few misunderstood demons, well you get the point; it’s the paranormal factor I like most. Again laughing added, “yea OK sure it’s just the superheroes you like, as long as there is a lot of (and then she whispered)… sex. I thought “what the hell” she’s saying sex like it’s a bad thing.

OK I’ll admit I like a story that revolves around romance and where there is romance there should be sex. I just find when I’m reading a story where the sexual chemistry is stimulating between the characters makes it soooo much more…interesting. So sue me!

It’s not just genetic instincts anymore driving us to have sex in order to procreate, hell we don’t even need the act for that anymore; it’s also a very human need for touch that drives us. And man...it just feels so damn good.
 Then I was really floored when another gal there said to me “besides not everyone has the time to read like you do”. Whoa, I think I was just sucker punched...

Suddenly I stopped, and thought... OK I’m out numbered here so maybe I’d better cut my losses and move on the another subject. However, anyone who knows me knows I just don’t know when to shut up, and just couldn’t let it go. So I asked what it was about “these” books they had a problem with. There was a pause and then somebody finally said “well to be honest I for one don’t understand what is so appealing about them. They are so unrealistic. And besides if my husband saw me reading those books he’d expect more sex, especially the ones with M/F/M or that BDSM stuff...ewww!!" (Dear God women who said anything about that???...me thinks someone might be hiding a dirty girl mmmm?)

Clearly the poor dear doesn’t get the idea behind fantasy, and I looked at her husband and felt kinda bad for the guy. That really seemed to open a can of worms, and bang we were back to the sex. Evidently Watson I think we may be on to something here.

Sex such a small word for so much ambiguity.

I went on to listen to some of the other comments, and here is what I heard...



  • “I read all day at work or for school, the last thing I want is to read something else”
  • “All I want to do at the end of the day is turn on the TV and stop thinking”.

Those two have to be the saddest one of all. What better way to escape or “stop thinking” then with a good novel? Reading a book shouldn’t be deemed a chore, it should be looked upon as an adventure that’s just a page away.


·  God I wish I had time to read like you do” (again what the hell does that mean?)

So is it just “those” books or recreational reading in general that they don’t have the time for? Could it be that when they say “no time” it’s meant literally? Why? What has us so busy that we can’t take a moment to relax with a good book? Are we afraid we’re going to miss something if we take the time to read? Could the latest tweet or FB post be that important we couldn’t stand to miss it? (Don’t worry I’ll be twitting about this as soon as it’s posted) Or does it have more to do with the attention required sitting and focusing on one thing only, that is the problem? I think with all the new venues we have at our finger tips today, Kindle, IPad, even our phones now have apps that will allow us to download books it would be easier now more than ever to find the time to read. So maybe it’s not so much finding time, and more to do with finding something that might be worth taking time for.
·  “I use to like to read romances” …so what happened? “I got bored”…
Ah, now there’s something I can relate too.

I hear this alot; they just became bored with what use to keep them interested.

Romances today folks are more than the sum of its part, regardless if they are set in a paranormal genre or not. I think that a lot are still thinking about the old historical romance of yesteryear with more testosterone then brains, and swooning women looking to be saved. I began to think authors weren’t even trying anymore, they were just writing the same story over and over again and changes the names and locations. For a long time I to was so dishearten I almost thought I’d never find a romance that was stimulating enough to keep me turning the pages, until I found the paranormal genre, add a bit of erotica and “SHAZAM” it was off to the races once again and a whole new world for me.
 
·  “Oh I couldn’t buy that book, I be too embarrass of what people would think” (hello, can we say Internet)








OK sure maybe you don’t want to take “20 ways to tie up you lover” to work or the PTA meeting. That might be bad. So don’t. Worried the kiddies might find them? Hide them with your sex toys then. (Oh don’t look so shocked. If you didn’t have a “spot” that has stuff for your eyes only would be more shocking, if you ask me). My first“adult” erotic book was one I found in my mom’s stash. The Valley of the Dolls by Jacqueline Susann… Thanks mom! I remember when she walked in my room and saw me reading it, I thought for sure my ass was grass; she laughed and said “well what do you think”? I asked her if she had more. That’s when she gave me my first historical romance. I thought“oh if all pirates were like this the Queen of England (because you have to admit most were set in merry old England) herself would have demanded much more of them than just an audience and she would be one very Merry Yo..ho...ho..ho Queen to boot! "







Oh and here’s a bit of trivia you might find interesting the word SHAZAM originally came from captain marvel comics. Captain Marvel is the alter ego of Billy Bats and was chosen to be a champion of good by the wizard Shazam. Whenever Billy speaks the wizard's name, he is struck by a magic lightning bolt that transforms him into an adult superhero empowered with the abilities of six legenday figures.






Remember all those old children’s fairy tales that began with; “Once upon a time…” wouldn’t those just packed full of hidden connotation? Well let me just say the fairy tales today are all grown up, and they want do so much more with those big teeth then eat you (well they do just not figuratively).



Regardless of what your reading preference, don’t limit yourself, find the time, and explore. So tonight, after you finish reading the kiddies a bedtime story about heroes and castles in the sky, instead of just plopping down to watch TV; ask yourself when was the last time you read a good book?




The role of a writer is not to say what we all can say, but what we are unable to say.



~Anaïs Nin~







This was previously published On March2011, some corrections have been made…


This was originally posted in March of 2011. There have been some changes made.





No comments: